Part of an organisation? Pledge to Boycott Workfare now!
The government continues to try and push workfare with numerous work for benefits schemes in spite of a groundswell of opposition across the UK.
It’s important that other sectors also firmly turn their back on workfare: will your organisation sign the pledge to Boycott Workfare too?
Why organisations should sign:
- There is huge public opposition to workfare schemes, with thousands boycotting those involved. Signing the pledge will reassure people that your organisation is not taking part.
- Workfare schemes are backed by a punitive regime of benefit stoppages, sanctions, which have driven the need for foodbanks in the UK and put people at risk of destitution for up to three years.
- Replacing motivated and decently paid workers with people facing destitution from often arbitrary sanctions will not be of benefit to your organisation or the claimant.
- Evidence shows workfare does not help people find work.
- Signing the pledge will make it clear in advance that your project won’t participate in or police any of these schemes.
Let’s pre-empt any expansion of workfare – and bring it to its long overdue end!
Get your organisation to sign the Boycott Workfare pledge:
“We the undersigned commit to refusing to participate in compulsory work-for-benefits placements. We want volunteering to remain just that!”
Union member? Approach your employer to sign the pledge with support from your trade union branch! Please download the Union motion – boycott workfare to bring to your trade union branch and a leaflet to bring to meetings and events.
(Abusive or off-topic comments will be deleted)