PCS - Save Our Cultural Assets
Cuts in the Culture, Media and Sports Sector, announced in the Comprehensive Spending Review, will have a devastating effect on the artistic and cultural heritage of the country.
It is completely irresponsible to cut funding in this area when you consider that:
• Heritage Tourism contributes £20.6 billion a year supporting a total of 466,000 jobs
• Overseas visitors make 10 million trips to the UK each year, with 4 in 10 citing heritage as the primary reason.
• Every £1 of taxpayer’s money spent on culture generates £2 to the UK economy
• Sport contributes £16 billion to our economy annually
• Funding sport generates long term economic value in terms of avoided health costs and improved quality of life.
Cutting jobs, services and funding at this time risks both the vitality of the sector and will have a significant impact on local and national economies.
PCS fully understands the importance of a vibrant and thriving arts scene and seeks to work with other organisations to highlight this and the contribution our members make to the UK economy.
We launched a “Save Our Cultural Assets” campaign in October and as part of that campaign we have set up an e-petition asking people to sign up to our statement in support of public funding for the arts.
We would really appreciate your support and ask that you complete the petition which can be found at: http://www.gopetition.com/petition/39378.html