Newcastle city council library staff to be replaced with volunteers NE99
Staff will lose their jobs as the council proposes to “enter into a partnership arrangement to use volunteers instead of staff to deliver books to people in their own homes. Staff will continue to select the books.”
The council also proposes to:
- Reduce library opening times by a total of 44 hours in 12 out of it 18 libraries.
- sell old books and other items to raise money.
- raise money by increasing the costs of printing and photocopying from 15p to 20p and introduce a charge of £30 for all family history enquiries that come in by phone, email and letter.
Newcastle city council expects to shed about 300 jobs this year.
- Source: www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/drupalncc.newcastle.gov.uk/files/wwwfil…
- Posted by: False Economy at 6:45pm on 25 March 2012
Does this cut affect you or someone you know?